Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Boy of 2, was clawed to death by African Wild Dogs

A two-year-old boy, name unknown, was clawed to death by a gang of dangerous African wild dogs on sunday morning. It was about time when the mother personally kept him on the rail to view the the African Wild dogs well at the Pittsburgh zoo and Aquarium, from Pleasant Hills, Pittsburgh.

Despite the attempts by the Zoo keepers and armed police officers to rescue the boy,
all came to no avail, as the 11 species savagely killed the boy.

The Zoo keepers fired darts and a Police officer opened fire, carnaging one of the African painted dogs, even with that the rescuers couldn't reach the boy in time.

Daily Mail Narrated:  The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the boy fell over a railing and off a mesh barrier where the dogs were on display about 11.45am on Sunday.

His horrified mother, 34, who had taken him to zoo, watched as the dogs attacked the boy.

Police don't know whether the boy died from the 11-foot fall or from the attack.

Lt. Kevin Kraus of the Pittsburgh police described the accident as 'horrific.'

'Unfortunately, the dogs were in pack mentality and not responding to zookeepers' efforts to control them,' the zoo said in a statement.

Zookeepers quickly drove off seven of the dogs, which are slightly smaller than Labrador retrievers, but the others could not be stopped.

Employees pounded on the railings of their pen and shouted at the animals in an effort to deter them. A flurry of darts also did not drive them back.

When Pittsburgh police intervened, one especially aggressive dog refused to back down and stop attacking the boy. It was shot dead by an officer.

Zoo officials said there is a mesh barrier beyond the railing, but Lt Kraus said it was designed to catch small objects such as cameras, and not humans.

Investigators have not determined the exact cause of death, he said.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said the boy’s name would not be released until later today.

The boy and his mother were visiting the park with relatives - an adult and another child - at the time of the attack.

Police said the boy's father arrived soon after the accident and both parents are currently being medicated to deal with the shock.

The zoo was closed, and it was not clear when it would be reopen, authorities said.

'The screams just kept coming and coming: "Someone help. Someone has to do something,''' witness Angela Cinti, 20, who was visiting the zoowith her boyfriend told the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette.

'We were on our way to the polar bear exhibit when we heard the most horrible piercing screams,' Ms Ciniti recalled. 'Someone was begging for help, asking someone to do something.'

Guests recounted being hurried into the nearest building for safety, waiting for a half an hour according to Ms Cinit.

'We were locked down in the building and told to stay inside,' Ms Cinit told the paper. 'We thought it was a problem with one of the animals that got loose. Then we were told it was an incident with the wild dogs and that a child had been hurt.'

Mean while the parents are currently being medicated to deal with shock

No comments:

Post a Comment