AD

AD

Sunday, 18 November 2012

Anxious breast-feeding mom reveals secrets

Breast-feeding is like sex: Candace Chang of Philadelphia

As "natural" as breast-feeding is, I quickly learned that neither my baby nor I knew what we were doing. We had latching issues from the very beginning. Instead of really taking in the nipple and areola, she'd kind of suck it in like a straw. For the first time in a long time, I felt truly dumb. How could I not know how to do this? C'mon, a baby opens up and sucks...
on the nipple. What could be so freaking difficult about that?

Apparently it is, and the hospital lactation consultants (AMEN to them) helped us sort out our latch issues, but the very best advice on breast-feeding I received was from my pediatrician. He equated breast-feeding with sex, meaning the more relaxed I was, the better it would be. He told me to stop thinking about it, just do it, and it would all sort itself out in the end.

My girl was exclusively breast-fed for the first six months of her life, and I attribute much of our breast-feeding success to our pediatrician. I was encouraged to call the office, e-mail him, etc. E-mail! It's the best thing a doctor could have given me. The fact that my daughter's pediatrician respected my wish to breast-feed and tried very hard to calm my nerves is something for which I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment