Saturday, 27 October 2012

New York Nanny Stabs Herself in Mother's Presence

The New York nanny suspected in the killings of two children in her care began knifing herself when their mother entered the bathroom and saw the bodies in the bathtub, police said. "We believe now that the nanny began to stab herself as the woman entered the room," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters in a revised account of Thursday's events. "We initially thought that had already been done but now information is coming out that she did it as the mother entered the bathroom." Earlier, police had said that Marina Krim found nanny Yoselyn Ortega, 50, on the bathroom floor of the family's Upper West Side luxury apartment with self-inflicted wounds.

In the tub lay the clothed bodies of two of Krim's children: Leo, who had recently celebrated his second birthday with "Pinkalicious-inspired cupcakes;" and his 6-year-old sister, Lucia, who had performed "beautifully in her ballet recital" in May. Both children had been repeatedly stabbed, police said. Ortega started stabbing herself in the neck with a kitchen knife, police said. Her wrists were slit. "The charge is still to be determined," Kelly said.

Krim had left the two children with the nanny, known as "Josie," to take her third child, 3-year-old Nessie, to a swim lesson at a nearby YMCA, Kelly said. She had expected to meet the nanny at a dance class for the 6-year-old around 5:30 p.m. When the nanny and children didn't show up, Krim went up to the apartment, where she found the lights were off, police said. Krim then returned to the lobby and asked a doorman whether he had seen her two other children leave with the nanny; he had not. "There comes a time when she goes looking for her children and enters the bathroom and finds her 6-year-old daughter and son stabbed to death in the tub," Kelly said.
Leo, left, and Lucia Krim were discovered dead in a bathtub by their mother.

That's when neighbors heard a scream. The children's father, Kevin Krim, a senior vice president for CNBC Digital and former Yahoo executive, was en route back home from the West Coast. Police broke the news to him at John F. Kennedy International Airport. "A member of the CNBC family has suffered an unimaginable loss," NBC Universal said in a statement. "The sadness that we all feel for Kevin, Marina and their family is without measure."

The nanny was taken to a hospital, where she was in critical but stable condition. The bodies of the two children were removed from the building on a single stretcher and taken to a hospital where they were pronounced dead. Ortega was heavily sedated and under police watch on Friday at Weill Cornell Medical Center, said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne. Kelly said she was breathing with the aid of a tube and unable to talk.

ChiboyChuks Opinion: It's awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment